Sweet Potato Pudding Recipe
Sweet Potato Pudding Ingredients:
4 cups of sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons dark rum
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
grated rind of lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
1 tablespoon raisins
Sweet Potato Pudding Cooking Method:
To grated potatoes, add sugar gradually and whole eggs, one at at time, mixing well after each addition.
Mix in butter with a fork.
Mix in grated rind of lime juice.
Add rum. and mix well.
Add salt, baking powder and cinnamon, sifted together.
Mix well and add raisins.
Pour this mixture into a greased pan and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) about 50 minutes, until done.
Recipe from the Pinney’s Beach Hotel on Nevis.
Sweet potatoes taste like a dessert, but contain many excellent health benefits.
10 Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- Highly nutritious: They contain many vitamins and minerals including: vitamin A, vitamin C, B vitamins, fiber, potassium and iron.
- Magnesium: Also known as the stress relief and relaxation mineral. Magnesium is a must for healthy arteries, blood, bone, muscle and nerve functions.
- Great source of Potassium: Potassium is a very important vitamin because it not only aids in relaxing muscle contractions and helps prevent muscle cramps, but it also reduces swelling and help protects and regulate the activities of your kidneys. One medium sized Sweet Potato contains about 10% of your daily requirement of Potassium.
- A great source of Vitamin C: Not only does Vitamin C help prevent illness, it also aids in bone and tooth formation. One serving (3.5 ounces) contains about 47% of the daily recommended vitamin C.
- Abundance of Vitamin A: One medium sized Sweet Potato contains 100% of the daily requirement of Vitamin A
- Natural Inflammatory: Antioxidants, which also serve as natural inflammatories are abundant in these gems. They also contain a large amount of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, which are also known to be natural inflammatories.
- Low Glycemic Index: The slow release of sugars helps the body maintain a healthy and balanced source of energy without blood sugar spikes that cause fatigue and weight gain.
- Fat Free: Sweet potatoes contain absolutely no fats, but they will still make you feel full as they high a high amount of fiber!
- Beta-Carotene: Sweet potatoes contain just as much Beta- Carotene as carrots do which makes them a great food for fighting off cancer cells and other chronic diseases.
- They are versatile: You can basically cook them anyway you want! Roasted, baked, steamed, grill or even throw them in a soup or stew and you will have one delicious side!