Plantain Bread Recipe – Nevis Style
March 06, 2010
3 Large ripe plantains
2 Teaspoons Fresh Chile Sambal
1 Cup rice flour
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Cup diced fresh Mango
1/4 cup Canola oil
1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Cup dry roasted peanuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F
2. Peel the plantains, cut them into small chunks, and put in a large, deep mixing bowl. Mash into a thick paste with yourfingers or an electric blender. If you use a blender, you may need to add 2 to 4 tablespoons water for smoother blending.
3. Add the diced mango pieces, and Chile Sambal, rice flour, and salt and mix well. Gently heat the canola oil in a small skillet and add the turmeric. Stir well, remove from the heat, and blend it into the plantain mixture, which should be thick yet soft enough to pour.
4. Grease a standard loaf pan, and pour the plantain mixture into it. Bake for 1 hour, or until cooked and firm. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before turning it out on a wire rack.
5. Slice and serve with dry roasted peanuts or as an accompaniment to other dishes.