Curried Plantain Soup Recipe
Nevis, West Indies
May 23, 2009
Ha! Fooled you…no sadly Cla-Cha-Del has not magically re-opened on Shaws Road, or for any other place on Nevis…Sadly. For those people who used to go to Cla-Cha-Del back in the 1990’s, hopefully this recipe will bring back fond memories.
1 1/2 Ounces minced shallots
1 Rib celery diced
2 Minced garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Madras curry powder
6 Ripe Plantains
4 Cups chicken stock
1/4 Cup heavy cream
1/4 Teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
5 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
Kosher or Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Peel the plantains and chop all the vegetables.
2. Heat the oil in a large stock pot.
3. Add the shallots, celery, garlic and ginger and sautÃ© until golden brown.
4. Stir in the sugar and caramelize lightly. Add the curry powder and plantains and mix well.
5. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, allowing to simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Add the heavy cream and simmer (do not allow to boil) for 10 minutes.
7. PurÃ©e in food processor to desired consistency
Garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve with an ice cold Carib beer…or two…or even three :)