Lobster Bisque Ingredients:
- 1 Medium white onion diced
- ½ Unsalted cup butter
- ¾ Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups chicken broth (NOT the low sodium variety)
- ¼ Teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper finely minced (Habanero pepper may be substituted)
- 1 Pound freshly grilled lobster meat
- ¾ Cup dry sherry (NOT cooking sherry!)
- 3 Cups half and half cream
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
Lobster Bisque Cooking Method:
- Saute onions and minced pepper in butter until onions are translucent.
- Stir in flour with a whisk and whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken broth and white pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add lobster meat and cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Blend in sherry, cream and tomato paste.
- Place in food processor and puree until desired consistency.
- Garnish with lobster pieces and serve immediately
Spiny Lobster Facts
Everyone knows that spiny lobsters make a delicious dinner, but few know much about the interesting lives of these creatures. Some interesting facts about these popular invertebrates:
- Spiny lobsters are nocturnal and emerge from their hiding spots during the night to forage on their favorite foods including crabs, clams, and other invertebrates.
- Spiny lobsters reproduce in spring and summer. Females carry bright orange eggs on the underside of the tail.
- Spiny lobsters have two large antennae. They are used for fighting and defense, and two smaller antennules, which are sensory organs that can detect chemicals and movement in the water.
- To harvest a spiny lobster, it must have a carapace length of at least three inches. This indicates the lobster is about two years old and likely reached sexual maturity.