Conch Salad Recipe – Pemo’s Restaurant
September 08, 2006
Conch Salad Recipe Ingredients
3 pounds conch, skinned, finely diced (cooked diced lobster may be used instead)
2 hot red peppers, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green peppers, finely chopped
1 small cucumber, peeled and finely diced
2 firm, ripe tomatoes, finely diced
1/2 cup fresh lime juice or lemon juice
Salt to taste.
Conch Salad Recipe Preparation
The conch has to be prepared by using two large bowls of salt water. Wash conch thoroughly in first bowl. Dice finely and put into second bowl to soak for about 30 minutes; drain. Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Allow mixture to marinate 30 minutes to 1 hour in refrigerator. Serve cold on lettuce leaves.
Thanks to Dossie at Pemo’s Restaurant for this recipe.
Yields 8 to 10 servings
- Availability: Year-round.
- Source: U.S. wild-caught from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, but U.S. harvest is very limited.
- Taste: Conch has a sweet, slightly smoky flavor, similar to abalone or clam, and an almost crunchy texture. Fresh, farmed conch is sweeter and more tender than frozen, wild conch.
- Texture: Young “thin-lipped” conchs have more tender meat than larger, “thick-lipped” ones.
- Color: Depending on the conch’s size, the meat ranges in color from snow white to a pale, golden orange. The larger the animal, the darker the meat.
- Health Benefits: Queen conch is a good low-fat source of protein. It is high in vitamins E and B12, magnesium, selenium, and folate, but is also high in cholesterol.