Grilled Tamarind Chicken Wings – A Great Appetizer
Bush Bar Restaurant
Nevis, West Indies
August 29, 2009
8 Chicken wings chopped
6 Spring onions, finely
1 Medium sized Scotch Bonnet pepper, finely minced. A Habanero pepper can be substituted
2 Tablespoons Peanut oil, canola oil can be substituted
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Teaspoon Ground turmeric
2 Teaspoons Ground coriander
4 Tablespoons Tamarind Paste
4 Chicken drumsticks
1. Place chicken in a pan of boiling water. Reduce the heat and allow the chicken wings to simmer, for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and cool on a wire cooling rack.
2. Combine tamarind sauce, coriander, turmeric and garlic, add to chicken, toss well to coat. Let the wings marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, overnight is even better!
3. Heat peanut oil in a frying pan, add chilies and spring onions, stir-fry over low heat for 3 minutes, set aside.
4. Grill chicken, preferably over a wood or charcoal fire until GBD (golden, Brown, and Delicious), thanks Alton Brown!
5. Toss the grilled wings in the chili and green onion mixture, and drizzle the juice of one freshly fresh squeezed lime over the wings
6. Garnish with lime wedge and a sprig of fresh cilantro