Nevis Miss Teen Pageant Director – Tamica Lawrence
April 10, 2013
A new show will form part of the activities slated for Nevis’ Culturama Festival. The Miss Teen Nevis Pageant which will be held on August 01, 2013, at the Cultural Complex, will fill a gap that has existed over the years and targets teenage girls at the island’s High Schools.
Former Miss Culture and Chairperson of thePageant’s planning committee Ms. Tamica Lawrence, told the Department of Information, that Deputy Premier and Minister responsible for Culture in the Nevis Island Administration (NIA) Hon. Mark Brantley, had given the show his blessings and with the support of Executive Director of the Culturama Secretariat Mr. Antonio Liburd the Pageant had become a reality.
According to Ms. Lawrence, the Miss Teen Pageant was designed to promote the talents and enhance the skills and abilities of the participants and prepare them for other contests.
“The idea is to prepare the teens for other international teen pageants, to be a teen ambassador for our island Nevis and to lead the way to the prestigious Miss Culture Pageant,” she said.
Ms. Lawrence also gave the assurance that the new teen showwould be of a high standard and the organizers had already confirmed participation of contestants.
“I can assure you that the pageant will be one of high standards. We have already confirmed six vibrant, intelligent and talented teens from the three high schools on the island to participate in this year’s, the first ever, Miss Teen Nevis Pageant.
“The teens are ready for the pageant; the teens are eager to showcase their abilities; the teens are ready to participate and have fun,” she said.
Ms. Lawrence, who described herself as a pageant fanatic, explained how elated shewas with the level of interest by teenagers.
“Being a pageant fanatic, I am elated that the teens have come forward and signed up for the pageant. I take this opportunity to say a special thank you to the parents of the teens because without their consent, the pageant would not be possible,” she said.
This year’s pageant is expected to feature five judged segments, the particulars of which will be revealed to the public in the coming weeks. However, Ms. Lawrence gave a bird’s eye view into the planned event.
“The show is a packed show with exciting side shows along with a guest artist. Yes we have a guest artist that has performed internationally that would be an added bonus to the pageant. The production number is a must see, so that means individuals will have to be at the Complex for 8, so please don’t be late,” she said.
“In the weeks ahead, the Committee members and I will have more to offer to the general public in relation to the activities and preparations surrounding the pageant. I can tell you though, that the launch for the contestants is in early June and that is the where the general public will see the girls make their first appearance,” she said.
Meantime, the Committee Chairperson urged members of the public to support the contestants in their venture.
“I am appealing to the general public to come out and support the contestants in this the first ever Miss Teen Pageant. The show is going to be great. That is a guarantee!” she said.