CHARLESTOWN NEVIS (August 22, 2006)
The Nevis Disaster Management Office (NDMO) will soon have new and expanded offices, to deliver maximum services to the people of Nevis in the event of a disaster.
Manager of the NDMO Mr. Lester Blackette told the Government Information Service recently, that the two acre site at Long Point had been cleared and construction work is scheduled to commence in September, 2006, since the contract bids are expected to be tendered by the end of August.
Mr Blackette outlined the scope of the combined Emergency Operating Centre (EOC) which will be funded by the Unites States Military Southern Command. The site has been provided by the Nevis Island Administration through the Land Development Corporation.
“The purpose of the building would be to provide a warehouse for the storage of items in the event of a disaster or a major emergency. It would also house an Emergency Operating Centre /general office which is convertible to the EOC in the event of a situation. It also has in offices, a conference room, training room and also an agency room which is a combined room in the event of a disaster, a library, a radio and communication room in addition to other ancillary: a kitchenette for example and bathrooms.
“We are hoping that this project would give a lot of flexibility to the Disaster Management Office. It is expected that we would be getting some additional staff soon so that by the time the office is constructed in early January or February , we would be able to even ramp up further the information that we provide to the general public,” he said.
The building would be a 44 ft x110 feet steel frame building, the steel frame for which is expected to arrive on Nevis on September 2nd. Mr. Blackette noted other things that would be included on the site including a parking lot, a container area, a communication tower and a generator room.
The project expected to provide employment for one of three local contractors and a number of sub contractors.
Mr. Blackette said also, that a two man team from the US Military Southern Command had visited Nevis on Tuesday August 15, 2006
“Mr. Stephen Roper and Mr. Eric Newman who is the contractor contracted to construct the building. They were here on site discussing and having various analyses of the designs and drawings and fielding questions from the three likely contractors who will be bidding for the job.
“The two gentlemen also made a courtesy call on The Honourable Premier Mr Joseph Parry where he was briefed on the project. He asked a number of relevant questions with respect to completion and cost and was able to get satisfactory answers. He was quite satisfied with the progress of the project,” he said.
Meantime, Mr Blackette said that an additional building is expected to be constructed on the site in 2008 and provisions had already been made there to accommodate construction.