Nevis Premier Urges Return To Local Food Consumption

CHARLESTOWN, NEVIS (March 29, 2007)

Premier of Nevis the Hon. Joseph Parry made a passionate plea to Nevisians, to return to the soil and to consume locally produced foods if they are to guard against diseases and a shortened lifespan. The call came when he made remarks at the opening ceremony of the 13th Agriculture Open day at the Villa in Charlestown on Thursday March 29, 2007.

The function signalled the start of the two-day annual flagship event of the Department and Ministry of Agriculture on Nevis, with the theme “Implementing Science and Technology to increase and sustain Agricultural Productivity”.  The exhibition is being held under the patronage of Mr. Charles Cozier a fisherman from Fountain Village.

Mr. Parry noted that at present, Nevis was faced with a situation where there was no export market and a notable shift from the consumption of local produce to imported products, a trend which was generally thought of as a mark of affluence. He urged Nevisians to reverse the trend and to pattern the eating habits of the people of Dominica who consumed more locally produced foods.

Read More

Nevis Receives Exposure In Major Travel Magazines

Charlestwon, Nevis (March 28, 2007)

Chief Executive Officer at the Nevis Tourism Authority (NTA) Ms. Helen Kidd, the island’s  premier tourism marketing tool, disclosed Monday that the island continued to receive added exposure from a number of articles which have appeared in major North American travel magazines.

Ms. Kidd made the announcement in an interview with the Department of Information on Monday March 26, 2007. She indicated that Nevis was featured in at least three magazines since a number of journalists continued to visit the island.

For the year so far, she explained that the first group of photographers and writers visited Nevis in January and they represented the Islands Magazine.

“That feature will not come out till July and August. However, immediately after that, we had a young man from the New York Post who visited us, his name was Chris Bunting and he went all over the island meeting with people and talking about, unusual for us, budget travel. As a result, we have received six columns in the New York Post about three weeks ago, excellent exposure for the destination. I am delighted to say, that also, a Florida publication by the name of Vive had been down here. One of the writers came down here which resulted in a piece that came out in the January issue of Vive, wonderful exposure of three pages for Nevis.

Read More

IMF Gives Positive Report On St. Kitts And Nevis Economy

Basseterre, Saint Kitts – Nevis, MARCH 28TH 2007

The Washington-based International Monetary Fund (IMF) says despite the
closure of the sugar industry in St. Kitts and Nevis, economic growth has
accelerated in 2006,fiscal imbalances have improved significantly and
monetary aggregates have continued to grow in line with economic growth.

That’s according to the international financial institution’s Executive
Board Article IV consultation on St. Kitts and Nevis.

It noted that in July 2005, the sugar industry – the historical mainstay of
the economy – closed after more than 300 years. The industry had incurred
substantial losses –  on the order of 3 to 4 percent of GDP annually in the
last several years – even before the announced further cut in preferential
access to the EU market. The closure has required the government to service
the debt of the sugar company (about 29 percent of GDP). Public debt,
accumulated as a result of exogenous shocks (including three hurricanes in
the second half of the 1990s) and an accommodative policy stance, reached
190 percent of GDP at end-2005.

The IMF said despite the closure of the sugar industry, economic growth has
accelerated.

Read More

ICC CWC 2007 Given Rousing Send-Off by St. Kitts & Nevis

St. Kitts & Nevis sent ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 on its way in true Caribbean style today with a farewell Group Stage match that typified the term “calypso cricket”.

As Australia and South Africa traded blow for blow on the picture-perfect Warner Park strip in Basseterre, a party with 10,000 in attendance was in full swing beyond the boundary ““ fans dancing to infectious melodies, drinking and eating to their hearts’ content and savouring the world-class sporting spectacle before them.

“This is great. I have thoroughly enjoyed the two matches I attended and I’m proud to see the West Indies on the international stage like this,” declared Mervin Powell who came over from Nevis for the landmark occasion.

His compatriot, Michael Gumbs, was pleased that he made the decision to fly in from the USA to see the action “live and direct” as he put it.

“I wanted to be here. This is fantastic for the people of St. Kitts & Nevis and every citizen of th is country should be proud today. We have the two best teams in the world here playing in the Cricket World Cup. It’s an honour.

“It’s a pity it has to end today. More people should have come out to the earlier matches but I think in time they will appreciate that it’s not just West Indies playing in the tournament,” he said.

Read More

New Program For Nevis Television

Charlestown, Nevis- March 26, 2007The Premier of Nevis, Hon. Joseph Parry will be the first guest of a new program entitled “The People’s Talk” which will air on Wednesday’s following the Nevis Newscast on Nevis Television (NTV) and on VON Radio on Monday evenings at 8 pm.

“I am happy about this new program and I feel that the people of Nevis will enjoy viewing themselves, friends and family members discuss the topics that affect all of us here in Nevis. I am also delighted that the producer of the program will seek honest answers from all members of the community, despite their political affiliations, said Premier Parry”

The 10 minute program produced and hosted by Press Secretary to the Premier, Mrs. Deli Caines Bussue will deal with topics that the residents of Nevis are talking about.

Read More